Update on the situation and the Covid-19
- As France enters a new period of restrictions, with the establishment of a cantonment at a perimeter of 10 km until May 3, 2021, things are different in the USA. New York is reopening its domestic tourism: since April 1, 2021, the quarantine has been lifted for all American visitors, who can therefore once again travel freely to New York.
- Immunization is also making great strides in New York State: more than a third of the state’s population received their first injection and more than 20% received both injections.
- There remains the thorny question of reopening international tourism. On this point, the situation remains frozen. States and airlines are working on a “Travel Pass” project, which should allow travel to all those who are vaccinated, who test negative for the virus or who have already been ill with Covid-19. However, the date of the effective implementation of this “Travel Pass” has not yet been determined.
- On March 18, 2021, a senior member of the US administration told US broadcaster CNBC, on condition of anonymity, that the Biden administration wants to reopen the borders between Europe and the United States from mid-May. Testing would still be mandatory for travelers. But no more details or a precise date for the moment. And no official confirmation since.
- In the meantime, here is an update on those who can currently travel between Europe and the USA. Note that this article was produced with the assistance of the United States Tourist Office in France and the United States Consulate in France. This is therefore official information.
People banned from entering the USA
- The second quarter of 2021 will be like the first quarter: people who reside in Europe still cannot go on vacation to the United States for the moment. This concerns all destinations in the USA: New York but also San Francisco, Los Angeles, Miami, Washington, Chicago or New Orleans…
- If you have family in the USA but do not have permanent resident status in the USA, you cannot travel to the USA until further notice. Several of you have written to me to ask me if it is possible to visit your son living in the USA or see his grandson: unfortunately this is not possible if you are not a US resident or married (e) to a US resident.
Persons authorized to travel to the USA
The United States Tourist Office in France and the United States Consulate in France put forward a list of 8 categories of people who can currently travel to the United States:
- 1 / Holders of an American passport.
- 2 / Legal permanent residents of the United States. These are therefore all expatriates living in the USA with a permanent resident status. This also applies to students holding F-1 or M-1 visas.
- 3 / Spouses and / or children of a US citizen or lawful permanent resident.
- 4 / Parents or legal guardians of a US citizen or lawful permanent resident provided that the latter is unmarried and under the age of 21.
- 5 / Brothers and / or sisters of a US citizen or permanent resident provided they are single and under the age of 21.
- 6 / Children of a US citizen or lawful permanent resident.
- 7 / People who can provide an essential service to the United States food supply chain.
Please note: if you have the right to travel between Europe and the USA, you must present a PCR test for Covid-19 carried out no more than 72 hours before your flights, on the outward and return journey.
Support us and stay informed with our newsletter
- The entire CNewYork team remains mobilized while awaiting the reopening of the borders. Support us by ordering our Destination New York paper guide and signing up for the exciting New York virtual tour with Laurène. NEW: Laurène also invites you to visit the neighborhood of your choice, live from your screen. This will give you a taste of New York and support the team. Thank you !
- And to be informed of the opening of the borders between Europe and the USA and of tourist news in New York, subscribe to our newsletter. It’s free ! Enter your e-mail address below and click on “I subscribe”:
Tourism. Government, CGEM and operators unanimous in making the vaccination pass the key to recovery
Towards the development of a tourist and cultural industry in Algeria?
more than 300 teachers trained in domestic tourism – CONGO POLITIS