NOTE: There’s a Black Friday Sale currently running. Read more below…
To compile this Proofread Anywhere review, we enrolled in all of the Proofread Anywhere courses and scoured the web for feedback from real members and graduates of the courses—all to help you decide if Proofread Anywhere is legit and worth your time and money.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THIS COURSE
WHAT IS PROOFREAD ANYWHERE?
The Proofread Anywhere courses are comprehensive, module-based training programs that are designed to teach people how to become successful, working proofreaders.
Enrolling in the courses will give you the education, tools, and guidance you need to become either a general proofreader or a transcript proofreader.
The courses were founded in 2012 after Caitlin Pyle, veteran proofreader and blogger, decided to share her insider tips and the steps it takes to build a successful career in the proofreading industry—steps that are well tested. Pyle has worked as a proofreader since 2007 and has specialized in the court reporting industry since 2009.
HOW MUCH DOES PROOFREAD ANYWHERE COST?
GENERAL PROOFREADING: THEORY AND PRACTICE
For only 2 more days, ending November 28th, 2022, Black Friday Deals will get you 60% off the prices below. Grab this fantastic opportunity.
The General Proofreading course has two course levels, IGNITE and IGNITE PLUS.
IGNITE is a one-time payment of $497 and provides lifetime access to the course.
IGNITE PLUS is a one-time payment of $597 and provides lifetime access to the course, as well as the additional features:
- A hand-graded exam
- A certificate upon completion of the course
- Your listing (SPS) in the Preferred Outsourcer Rolodex
- Exclusive access to membership in a separate marketing mastermind group
TRANSCRIPT PROOFREADING: THEORY AND PRACTICE
While the General Proofreading course is only available via one-time payments, the Transcript Proofreading course is organized in a multi-tier payment structure.
Level 1: Beginner Basecamp is a one-time payment of $77. You gain access to Module 1 for seven days.
Level 2: Jumpstart is a one-time payment of $197. You gain access to Modules 1 and 2 for an additional 30 days.
Level 3: NextSteps is a one-time payment of $400. You gain access to Modules 1-5 for an additional 60 days.
Level 4: Launch & Earn is a one-time payment of $500. At this level, you have lifetime access to Modules 1-9.
WHY DOES THE TRANSCRIPT PROOFREADING COURSE HAVE THIS PRICING STRUCTURE?
According to the Proofread Anywhere support team, this multi-tier payment structure was designed to best help students by enabling them to progress through the course step by step.
Here’s what they said:
“Basecamp provides students access for a week to the first module to let them get their feet wet without having to invest a lot of money upfront.
Since proofreading transcripts is so niche, it’s really helpful for students to get a further idea outside of the free seven-day mini-course to see if the Transcript Proofreading course itself would be a good fit for them.
The last thing we want is for students to spend money enrolling in the whole course and then feel overwhelmed and disappointed that this wasn’t a fit for them. So we break it up into levels to give them a chance to take it step by step.”
OUTSIDE OF BASECAMP
“Outside of Basecamp, which gives access for a week, each module requires students to pass either a quiz, midterm, or final before they can proceed to access the next level.
That way, as well, students can know they are on the right track to mastering the material and knowing if transcript proofreading is a good fit for them before they can pay for the next level.
We used to have it so students could purchase the entire course upfront, but after listening to student feedback, we broke up the levels, broke up the pricing, and ended up making it a lot more affordable and student-friendly this way.”
HOW DOES PROOFREAD ANYWHERE WORK?
Proofread Anywhere has a range of both paid and free courses to help you learn about the field of proofreading. The General Proofreading course and the Transcript Proofreading course are both paid, intensive courses, each focusing on a different niche of the proofreading industry.
In addition to these courses, Proofread Anywhere also offers free trainings and workshops to help you determine if proofreading is the right industry for you.
We recommend you enroll in the free training first to dip your toe into the waters of proofreading and help you decide if you’re ready to pursue proofreading as a career.
PAID: THE GENERAL PROOFREADING COURSE
As a general proofreader, you can work for anyone who’s in need of proofreading services. For example, general proofreading is often needed for books (e.g., novels, cookbooks, non-fiction books, etc.), menus, website copy, blog posts, and so much more.
Anything that’s going to be published—whether that be in print or online—needs to be reviewed before it gets into the hands of readers. That’s where a proofreader comes in.
So it’s easy to see how proofreaders are in high demand!
The General Proofreading course will teach you how to create and launch your own freelance business where you can make money as a general proofreader.
It contains 9 modules and 44 units. Here’s a preview:
MODULE 1: INTRODUCTION TO GENERAL PROOFREADING
- Why Proofread?
- Skills Needed to Be an Excellent General Proofreader
- Who Needs a Proofreader?
- What a General Proofreader Does (and Doesn’t) Do
- Terms Commonly (but Incorrectly!) Used as Proofreading
- Editing at a Proofreading Rate
MODULE 2: GET INTO THE RIGHT MINDSET
- Proofreading Niches
- Proofreader Lingo
MODULE 3: PROOFREADING BASICS
- Types of Errors
- Commas and Semicolons
- Quotation Marks
- Subject/Verb Agreement
- Noun/Pronoun Agreement
- Commonly Misused Words
- American and British Spelling Variations
MODULE 4: PROOFREADING METHODS AND PRACTICE
- Proofreading Methods
- Proofreading Practice
MODULE 5: TURNING PROOFREADING INTO A BUSINESS
- Creating a Website
- A Step-by-Step Guide to Setting up Your Business Website
- Writing Your Résumé
- Setting Your Rates
- Taxes and Incorporating Your Proofreading Business
- Building on Your Proofreading Experience
MODULE 6: FINDING CLIENTS
- Proofreading and Freelance Associations
- Social Media
- Social Media Dos and Don’ts
- Online Marketplaces
- Online Profiles
- Writing a Proposal
- Avoiding Scammers
- Don’t Expect Clients to Just Come to You
MODULE 7: YOUR WORKFLOW ONCE YOU GET THE JOB
- Starting Off on the Right Foot
- Working with Client Preferences
- A Proofreader’s Relationship with Other Editors on the Project
- How to Bill Your Clients
- Your Reputation
- Asking for Testimonials
MODULE 8: GETTING THE MOST OUT OF THE FREELANCING LIFE
- Organizing Your Time to Avoid Burnout
- A Day in the Life of a Proofreader
- Gaining Confidence
MODULE 9: CONCLUDING LESSON
- Look Better in WritingTM Handbook of Commonly Misused (and Abused!) Words
- The Ultimate Freelancer Tax Guide
- The Mindset Mastery Guide
- 5 Mindset Shifts for Goal-Crushing Confidence
PAID: THE TRANSCRIPT PROOFREADING COURSE
As a transcript proofreader, you would typically work in the court reporting industry, where your primary responsibility would be to proofread court reporters’ transcripts. This might also include listening to an audio recording of the transcript to catch errors and make corrections.
The Transcript Proofreading course will teach you how to create and launch your own freelance business where you can make money as a transcript proofreader.
It contains 9 modules and 60 units to which you gain access as you progress through the multi-tier payment structure. For example, the Level 1 Beginner Basecamp must be accessed first. This gives you access only to Module 1—only for seven days.
Here’s a preview of the full course load:
MODULE 1: INTRODUCTION TO TRANSCRIPT PROOFREADING:
- Introduction + Course Tour
- Facebook Groups
- Skills Needed to Proofread Transcripts
- Court Reporters, Steno, & Transcripts…Defined
- How a Transcript Becomes a Transcript
- Depositions vs. EUOs, Guidelines for Interpreted Proceedings, and Things Typically Included in Various Types of Transcripts
- The Anatomy of a Transcript + QUIZ
- Additional Introductory Resources
MODULE 2: THE NUTS & BOLTS OF TRANSCRIPTS:
- Types of Errors
- Transcript Format
- Commonly Misused Words
- List of Common Legal Terms + Looking Up Medical Terms
- American vs. British Spellings & Other Notes on Spelling
- 4 Most Violated Comma Rules in Transcripts
- A [Short] Lesson on Apostrophes + Worksheet
- More Punctuation Rules + PRACTICE
- 18 Transcript-Relevant Capitalization Rules + The Word Skills Test
- Moving on to Level 3: NextSteps
MODULE 3: MARKING UP TRANSCRIPTS:
- Marking Up a Transcript on Paper
- Methods 2 & 3: Marking up on a Computer and Writing an Errata Sheet
- Marking Up With an iPad
- Method 5: Proofreading to Audio
- Using CAT Software
MODULE 4: GETTING COMFORTABLE USING IANNOTATE FOR IPAD:
- Setting Up the Toolbar
- Using the Tools and Creating Stamps
MODULE 5: PRACTICE TRANSCRIPTS
- Rules vs. Preferences and How to Avoid Death by Commas
- Practice Transcripts
- Practice Transcripts — ANNOTATED VERSIONS
- Module 5 Midterm Test
- Module 5 Midterm Transcript
- Moving on to Level 4: Launch & Earn
MODULE 6: CORRESPONDING WITHIN THE COURT REPORTING PROFESSION:
- New Client Guidelines for Smooth Sailing
- Receiving Jobs—My Process
- Teaching Clients to Print a PDF (IMPORTANT for iAnnotate Users)
- Turnaround Time
- When You Need Time Off
- When to Fire a Client
- When You Make a Mistake
MODULE 7: BILLING AND ACCOUNTING PROCEDURES + FINAL EXAM:
- How to Set Your Rate
- How to Bill Clients
- When to Bill Clients
- [VIDEO] Taxes and Incorporation
- Final Exam
- Final Exam Transcript
MODULE 8: CONNECTING WITH POTENTIAL CLIENTS:
- Marketing Authentically on LinkedIn
- LinkedIn Training Videos
- Facebook Basics
- Four Social Media Platforms: How to Make Them Work for You
- How to Get Clients—and How to Royally Screw It Up
- “DO NOT CONTACT” LIST
- IMPORTANT WARNING on Sending Emails to Clients
- Marketing Techniques Quiz
- 3 Ways to Find Clients
- Active vs. Passive Marketing
- Kelley’s Day in Court
- Things to Be Careful About + Importance of Protecting Your Reputation
- Building a Website
- Student Q&A
MODULE 9: CONCLUDING LESSONS:
- Know Thyself … and Be Cool With Who That Is
- Dealing With How the Past Has Affected Our Present
- Impostor Syndrome
- The Graduate Directory + Retake the Word Skills Test
FREE: FREE INTRO WORKSHOP
The free workshop from Proofread Anywhere will introduce you to the world of proofreading to help you decide if you’re truly interested in pursuing a career in proofreading.
In this 45-minute workshop, Pyle makes it clear that proofreading is not the right industry for everyone. After completing the workshop, you’ll know whether or not being a proofreader is right for you and, if it is, whether you’d like to pursue general proofreading or transcript proofreading.
FREE: 7-DAY PROOFREADING E-COURSE
The 7-Day Proofreading E-Course is another free resource from Proofread Anywhere designed to help answer your questions about what it takes to be a proofreader.
With both the free intro workshop and the 7-Day Proofreading E-Course under your belt, you’ll have a firm grasp on the proofreading industry to decide if this career is the right choice for you.
MORE PROOFREAD ANYWHERE REVIEWS: WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING
Because it’s such a popular course, you’ll find a lot of questions about Proofread Anywhere: Is Proofread Anywhere legit? Is Proofread Anywhere worth it?
To conduct a Proofread Anywhere review that’s informative, thorough, and completely unbiased, we searched the web to see what other reviewers are saying.
As part of this process, we looked at sites like SiteJabber and RipoffReport. These sites allow others to post their own Proofread Anywhere reviews to give feedback to potential users.
SITEJABBER AND RIPOFFREPORT
These main review sites had no posts of Proofread Anywhere reviews.
OUR EXPERIENCE WITH PROOFREAD ANYWHERE
In order to conduct a thorough Proofread Anywhere review, we signed up for both the General Proofreading course and the Transcript Proofreading course.
We found both courses to deliver extensive, in-depth training on both the theory and practice of proofreading, in addition to providing valuable, insider knowledge on the proofreading industry as a whole.
Other key takeaways we enjoyed:
- Video format: Many of the lessons in both courses were in video format, which makes for easy instruction.
- Support: We emailed support and received a response within one day, so it’s safe to say that there are real, human bodies behind the course and that Proofread Anywhere is legit.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF PROOFREADING IS FOR YOU?
While the General Proofreading course and the Transcript Proofreading Course both offer valuable information, we advise taking advantage of the free training before jumping into one of the paid courses, so you can get a better idea of whether or not proofreading is the right career choice for you.
As you go through the free training, ask yourself these two questions:
- Do I love to read? Whether you become a general proofreader or a transcript proofreader, you will be doing a lot of reading, so you must enjoy reading!
- Am I always correcting typos? If you’re the type of person who’s always finding typos on menus, in newspapers, or anywhere else, then you may be the perfect fit for the proofreading industry.
If you answered no to these questions, then proofreading may not be for you.
In that case, you may be more suited for transcription, in which case we recommend checking out Transcribe Anywhere.
PROOFREAD ANYWHERE REVIEW: FINAL VERDICT
As with any program, you will never be able to please everyone—but from our own experience with the Proofread Anywhere courses, we are definitely pleased. These courses will show you how to turn your skills into financial freedom.
Both the General Proofreading Course and the Transcript Proofreading course offer exactly what they promise: in-depth training that will help you launch your career as either a general proofreader or a transcript proofreader.
Content creators aren’t going anywhere. The very nature of our consumption-driven society means that the world is going to demand even more content — whether it be blogged, published, podcasted, or recorded and filmed.
And what are all those content creators going to need? Proofreaders. Marketers. Skilled professionals. Like you, potentially.
It’s important to keep in mind that proofreading isn’t for everyone—this is an industry that requires a particular type of personality and set of skills to succeed.
If you think that’s you, then we think Proofread Anywhere is the best proofreading course online to teach you how to build a freelance business to make money as a proofreader.
BEST PROOFREADING COURSE ONLINE
(Learn more about our rating guidelines.)
LEARN MORE ABOUT THIS COURSE
5 Great Sets of Montessori Balancing Stones for Toddlers & Preschoolers — The Montessori-Minded Mom
Bugatti Chiron Pur Sport Drifts A Perfect ‘C’
Drifting a Bugatti Chiron [video]