From the 11th to the 31st of March, an exhibition provides the medieval manuscripts of the Cathedral Libray of Esztergom. Titled “For They Watch for Your Souls…” – Codices in the Cathedral Library of Esztergom, the exhibition is on watch in the freshly restored exhibition rooms of the Bibliotheca.
After the library moved again to Esztergom in 1853, János Scitovszky (1785-1866), archbishop of Esztergom, József Dankó and Nándor Knauz, canons of Esztergom each and every bequeathed four codices to the collection. Amid these, there was a 12th-century cathedral schoolbook made up of a commentary of the Song of Tracks amid other texts, and numerous manuscripts of Bohemian origin.
Most codices in the library originated and were being used in Central Europe, in Bohemia, Vienna, and Southern Germany. Nevertheless, some of the manuscripts arrived from the English, Italian, and French territories. The decoration of Peter Lombard’s commentary on the Psalms is a high-excellent item of English miniature portray. The exhibited manuscripts current a wide array of medieval ecclesiastical literature encompassing books on liturgy, theology, church law, astronomy, lexicography, as well as sermon collections, prayer guides, and schoolbooks.
The exhibition coincides with the publication of a catalog describing with good erudition the medieval manuscripts preserved in the Esztergom e book collections (The Codices of the Cathedral Library of Esztergom, the Archiepiscopal Simor Library, and the Esztergom Town Library). The reserve was edited by Edit Madas and prepared by Kinga Körmendy, Judit Lauf, Edit Madas, and Gábor Sarbak. Kinga Körmendy’s complete introduction offers the history of the collections and the in-depth descriptions are accompanied by different indices, appendices, a bibliography, and color plates. The ebook is the most recent quantity of the Fragmenta et codices in bibliothecis Hungariae collection. The book can be ordered in this article: [email protected]. A German-language edition of the catalog is forthcoming.
(Textual content and photographs by the Cathedral Library of Esztergom)
Resource website link